4MRMarket continues April 30th!!
We went all the way through the winter last year, but we had to take a break for a few months due to some renovation work on the Four Mile Run Conservatory Center. We are really look forward to getting back outside! Music is coming, the park is being transformed by a nearby wetlands restoration project, and many of our customers stayed with us all winter long!
On 4MR Stage, ~10am - Noon
TBD. A last minute cancellation has us looking for a performer. (Could it be you?)
\What's Been Happening
Market alums Bagel Uprising and Number 1 Sons teamed up to form a pop-up shop at Del Ray's Dairy Godmother while she was away on her winter break.
Check out more about Salt | Bagel in this Washingtonian article: A Bagel and Pickle Pop-Up Shop Is Coming to Del Ray
Kremena from Savory 'n Sweet taught a pastry class. She talked to readers of DIY Del Ray readers about techniques for mastering dough (and fillings) for sweet and savory pastry. Read all about it here: Recap: Kremena’s Sweet ‘n Savory Pastry Class
Backyard gardeners, She Peppers, have turned the peppers and herbs that we grow into delicious and unique spice blends and hot sauces. She Peppers also sells a variety of spices, gourmet salts, as well as seeds and seedlings of the various types of peppers and herbs for patrons. They specialize in hard to find peppers such as Carolina Reapers, Scorpion peppers, Ghost peppers, Shishitos, Padron, Thai peppers, and Scotch Bonnets to name a few. Find them in more and more local stores.
Rebecca from Second Rising Bakery continues to see Saturdays at Eastern Market and to mentor fellow bakers through Together We Bake. Once Rebecca's new business is up and running, it will help provide women that have been victimized by the sex trade a second chance.
If you're missing the musicians from the 4MR Stage, check out our playlist on Spotify to hear many of their recordings. Or find more info about them on their Reverbnation pages:
We're not just a Farmers Market. We're a cause!! We started a non-profit to improve Four Mile Run Park & Stream. Help us!
Founded to support the revitalization and expansion of Four Mile Run Park, 4MRMarket has worked with various community partners to create a venue that is inviting, clean and a resource for the diverse neighborhood of Arlandria.
Last year, we funded the formation of the Four Mile Run Conservatory Foundation and this new non-profit is already holding grant-supported park improvement events like the recent planting of 2 dozen new trees. Recently we met some of the neighbors and hope to have folks help us learn more about our wild friends living in the park!
And we're still looking for help to make park and environmental improvements. As we continue working to plant trees and remove invasive plants, this year we also aim to reduce litter throughout lower Four Mile Run with "Clean Stream Extreme"!! Help us equip volunteers with tools for stream clean-ups and install recycling bins & litter traps to make that less necessary. Our Spring2Action fundraising goal is participation - 100 donors, at any giving level. Help us today!
Check out the Four Mile Run Conservatory webpage at: www.FourMileRun.org.
|Have you met the neighbors?|
We've all helped bring about a lot of improvement to Four Mile Run Park through fund-raising and plain, old hard work. We've helped raise funds for a variety of other non-profits and helped folks of all walks of life Buy Fresh, Buy Local.
As a 100% neighborhood volunteer run market, we are proud that 4MRMarket serves as an incubator for small start-up businesses, a space for non-profits to promote their causes, and a community gathering place for live music, fellowship, and quality food and craft options.
Check back next week to see what's happening on Sundays this Spring! And see below all the ways to help and follow the links to find our market vendors during the break!!
- Bigg Rigg Farm (Hampshire County, WV) - Some fruits & vegetables come from as far away as Mexico and even China, With Bigg Riggs, you can be guaranteed that what you're eating is grown nearby in and hand pick high in the mountains. A fifth-generation family farm.
- Montoya's Farm (King George, VA) - Northern Neck farmers specializing in Latin ingredients and many varieties of popular produce.
- Savory 'N Sweet (Alexandria) - Your local Bulgarian baker! Maker of Savory and Sweet Breads, Breakfast Pastries, Fruit Pies, Breadsticks, and Granola.
- She Peppers (Alexandria) - Backyard gardeners who have turned the peppers and herbs that we grow into delicious and unique spice blends and hot sauces. She Peppers also sells a variety of spices, gourmet salts, as well as seeds and seedlings of the various types of peppers and herbs for patrons. They specialize in hard to find peppers such as Carolina Reapers, Scorpion peppers, Ghost peppers, Shishitos, Padron, Thai peppers, and Scotch Bonnets to name a few.
- Whole Health (Alexandria) - Organic teas, potpourris, and body scrubs from one of the largest Message and Acupuncture Therapy businesses in Northern Virginia.
- Bagel Uprising (Del Ray) - Are you ready to rebel against dry, stale, flavorless bagels? Look no further! Bagel Uprising offers authentic handmade bagels—boiled and baked in small batches—that will satisfy your craving for the real thing. Bagel sales begin at 10am!!
- Captain Xans (Alexandria and Bristol Bay, AK) - Wild caught Alaskan salmon straight from the nets to your table from "the most sustainable fishery on earth!" Flash frozen and never thawed for firmness and taste
- Switch Doctor (Alexandria) - Their switchel is crafted from the traditional hay maker's recipe of ginger, apple cider vinegar and pure Vermont maple syrup. They add other natural ingredients like green tea, turmeric and fresh squeezed lemon juice!
- Tom's Amish Cheese Store (Lancaster, PA) - Artisan Cheese, yogurt and Pennsylvania honey.
- Just a Bite (Annandale, VA) - Offering delicious, bit-sized treats such as alfajores, cuñapés, marshmallow rice puffs and sugar cookies.
- Second Rising Bakery (Alexandria) - Rebecca bakes delicious breads and cookies that are egg free and made with real butter, honey, and whole grains. Once this new business is up and running, it will help provide women that have been victimized by the sex trade a second chance.
- No. 1 Sons (Arlandria) - Produces wild cultured foods by hand in Alexandria. This brother and sister team live in Arlandria and do not heat treat or use preservatives. They make pickles, sauerkraut, dilly beans, kim chi, beets, hot sauce and more that is "Proudly Cloudy".
- Cookie Couture (Alexandria, VA) - Cookie Couture specializes in styling irresistible delicious gourmet cookies that taste as good as they look. Their passion for creating delectable cookies to tempt your taste buds and satisfy your sweet tooth is at the heart of the Cookie Couture Boutique.
- Dream of Goodies (Sterling, VA) - Once upon a time we had a dream of being able to eat goodies that are not only healthy for you but so yummy you almost couldn't believe it. All of our goodies contain sustainable, pasture-raised, non-GMO ingredients and we always strive to source local, organic ingredients whenever possible. We've dreamed up the very best tasting goodies for you to enjoy!
- Just a Bite (Annandale, VA) - Just A Bite likes to emphasize the humble snack, the one that speaks for itself upon first taste, knowing all too well that even then a nibble or two just won’t do.
- Role Tea (Springfield, VA ) - Good for you drinks don't have to taste bad. Every bottle of Role Tea includes 400mg of either turmeric or cinnamon extract to help you fight inflammation without compromising taste. With a better for you beverage that tastes THIS good, there really is no reason to drink regular teas, juices or soda.
- Mechelle's Baking Company (Fredericksburg, VA) - A family-owned small business specializing in baking amazing, homemade pies with your sweetest indulgences in mind. Their delicious line of signature desserts includes sweet potato pie, apple pie, pecan pie, & blackberry pie to melt over.
- Dmitri Olive Oil (Baltimore, MD) - A family that grows and harvests their own unfiltered first cold press extra-virgin olive oil and prepares oils infused with garlic, lemon & chili, as well as 10 different marinades.
|Mechelle's Baking Company has a variety of pie!|
And the talented Crafters:
- Athena Styles (Alexandria, VA) - A trendsetting Online Fashion Designer Shop, offering first-rate products and exceptional customer service to shoppers from the comfort of their own homes; a business made up of innovators and forward-thinkers, with the drive and wherewithal to constantly update and improve.
- Raynes Natural Beauty, LLC (Alexandria, VA) - Founded in a Alexandria loft in 2016 , Raynes Natural Beauty is an organic beauty product firm focused on providing healthy skin care, candles plus bath and body products. Completely free of all harmful toxins, Raynes Natural Beauty is a healthy and pure line of nourishing personal care items made only with the highest quality ingredients. 100% natural and 100% cruelty-free, all products are completely, 100% free of artificial colors, synthetic chemical preservatives and all other toxins.
- C&A Soy Candles (Alexandria, VA) - Specializes in all natural, hand poured soy woodwick candles. Custom orders welcome!
- Whitney's World in Kenya (Fairfax, VA) - Offering a collection of fair trade handmade woven baskets & jewelry from Kenyan families. Occasional Vendor.
- Nurture Designs (Alexandria) - Local jewelry artisan
|Sundays at 4MRMarket:|
Jimmy Potters Studio is a locally owned ceramics studio in
Fairfax, VA creating handmade and
functional ceramics for everyday use.
More ways to support 4MRMarket:
The supercool 4MRMarket t-shirt
BUY. Proceeds of our 4MRMarket T-shirts go to support the expansion and revitalization of 4MR Park. They cost $12 and come in 4 colors.
VOLUNTEER. We love help with set-up and tear-down and/or processing SNAP/EBT and Credit / Debit Card sales. Just find a Market Manager to ask to help, or email us at 4MRMarket@arlandria.org for more info.
FOLLOW. Keep up to date on all the goings on by following 4MRMarket on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email or via our website and blog.
SPREAD THE WORD. Please tell folks about us. And tell folks about some of the great things we're doing. For instance, all SNAP/EBT participants can take advantage of the Inova-sponsored "Double Dollar" program again this year that doubles the first $10 SNAP participants spend at the market. 4MRMarket is the first farmers’ market in Northern Virginia to accept SNAP.