It's Summertime and weather is fine. Volunteers are still hard at work to clean-up and improve Four Mile Run Park. It looks great. There was another clean-up Saturday and some new pollinator gardens installed nearby. All in all, promises for a great Sunday at 4MRMarket!
One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing...And you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
Since its inception, 4MRMarket has hosted music as often as possible. This season marks another year where the 4MR Stage will be home a weekly concert series featuring local artists that volunteer their time to bring you a little kick-start to your Sunday! Nearly every week, there will be an artist on stage from 10am to noon. They graciously accept tips and friendly applause, so please help support music at the market from these volunteer musicians!
Some 4MRMarket-goers have already gotten to see a sneak preview of our most recent promotion last Sunday: 4MRMarket is participating in the statewide "Farm. Fresh. PLEDGE!" promotion.
Pick up a "Farm. Fresh. PLEDGE!" at several locations around the market and for each $10 spent at 4MRMarket, we'll be checking it off (or punching it out) on your card. Once filled, the card will be submitted for a statewide drawing each month, as well as being eligible for a local prize. The first drawing isn't until the end of June, so we get to give everyone a head start!
Also, come check out what we have in store at the 4MRMarket tent. In celebration of start of Summer, we still have some Capital Bikeshare membership discount and trial coupons, great to try out in this Spring weather!
|Come to the 4MRMarket tent to inquire about CaBi!|
On 4MR Stage, ~10am - Noon
4MRMarket welcomes back Matt Tarka this Sunday from 10am-noon!Matt Tarka is a singer/sonwriter whose introspective lyrics ad sharp rhythms are designed for your back portch or a ride into town. Tarka’s songs can jolt you like a conversation with an old friend, picking up right where you left off on the trail.
Last year, Matt released a 4 song EP called "Surely Late." CD and Vinyl copies on the shelf of his online store here. www.matttarkamusic.com
The songs are also available on Spotify, iTunes, and located along many many streams. So please, take a few minutes and go get yourself a copy!
Please see the 4MRMarket FaceBook event page for more information about the show!
We're not just a Farmers Market. We're a cause!! We started a non-profit to improve Four Mile Run Park & Stream. Help us!
Founded to support the revitalization and expansion of Four Mile Run Park, 4MRMarket has worked with various community partners to create a venue that is inviting, clean and a resource for the diverse neighborhood of Arlandria.
Last year, we funded the formation of the Four Mile Run Conservatory Foundation and this new non-profit is already holding grant-supported park improvement events like the recent planting of 2 dozen new trees. Recently we met some of the neighbors and hope to have folks help us learn more about our wild friends living in the park!
And we're still looking for help to make park and environmental improvements. As we continue working to plant trees and remove invasive plants, this year we also aim to reduce litter throughout lower Four Mile Run with "Clean Stream Extreme"!! We were just grant funding to couple with the many generous donations received to equip volunteers with tools for stream clean-ups and install recycling bins & litter traps to make that less necessary.
AND this just in: In recognition of its innovative and effective approach to community engagement and volunteer coordination, Four Mile Run Park has been named a “Frontline Park,” a nationwide competition sponsored each year by City Parks Alliance. Read more about that here.
Check out the Four Mile Run Conservatory webpage at: www.FourMileRun.org.
|Have you met the neighbors?|
We've all helped bring about a lot of improvement to Four Mile Run Park through fund-raising and plain, old hard work. We've helped raise funds for a variety of other non-profits and helped folks of all walks of life Buy Fresh, Buy Local.
As a 100% neighborhood volunteer run market, we are proud that 4MRMarket serves as an incubator for small start-up businesses, a space for non-profits to promote their causes, and a community gathering place for live music, fellowship, and quality food and craft options.
Check back next week to see what's happening on Sundays this Spring! And see below all the ways to help and follow the links to find our market vendors during the break!!
- Bigg Rigg Farm (Hampshire County, WV) - Some fruits & vegetables come from as far away as Mexico and even China, With Bigg Riggs, you can be guaranteed that what you're eating is grown nearby in and hand pick high in the mountains. A fifth-generation family farm.
- Montoya's Farm (King George, VA) - Northern Neck farmers specializing in Latin ingredients and many varieties of popular produce.
- Savory 'N Sweet (Alexandria) - Your local Bulgarian baker! Maker of Savory and Sweet Breads, Breakfast Pastries, Fruit Pies, Breadsticks, and Granola.
- She Peppers (Alexandria) - Backyard gardeners who have turned the peppers and herbs that we grow into delicious and unique spice blends and hot sauces. She Peppers also sells a variety of spices, gourmet salts, as well as seeds and seedlings of the various types of peppers and herbs for patrons. They specialize in hard to find peppers such as Carolina Reapers, Scorpion peppers, Ghost peppers, Shishitos, Padron, Thai peppers, and Scotch Bonnets to name a few.
- Whole Health (Alexandria) - Organic teas, potpourris, and body scrubs from one of the largest Message and Acupuncture Therapy businesses in Northern Virginia.
- Bagel Uprising (Del Ray) - Are you ready to rebel against dry, stale, flavorless bagels? Look no further! Bagel Uprising offers authentic handmade bagels—boiled and baked in small batches—that will satisfy your craving for the real thing. Bagel sales begin at 10am!!
- Captain Xans (Alexandria and Bristol Bay, AK) - Wild caught Alaskan salmon straight from the nets to your table from "the most sustainable fishery on earth!" Flash frozen and never thawed for firmness and taste
- Switch Doctor (Alexandria) - Their switchel is crafted from the traditional hay maker's recipe of ginger, apple cider vinegar and pure Vermont maple syrup. They add other natural ingredients like green tea, turmeric and fresh squeezed lemon juice!
- Tom's Amish Cheese Store (Lancaster, PA) - Artisan Cheese, yogurt and Pennsylvania honey.
- Just a Bite (Annandale, VA) - Offering delicious, bit-sized treats such as alfajores, cuñapés, marshmallow rice puffs and sugar cookies.
- Second Rising Bakery (Alexandria) - Rebecca bakes delicious breads and cookies that are egg free and made with real butter, honey, and whole grains. Once this new business is up and running, it will help provide women that have been victimized by the sex trade a second chance.
- No. 1 Sons (Arlandria) - Produces wild cultured foods by hand in Alexandria. This brother and sister team live in Arlandria and do not heat treat or use preservatives. They make pickles, sauerkraut, dilly beans, kim chi, beets, hot sauce and more that is "Proudly Cloudy".
- Cookie Couture (Alexandria, VA) - Cookie Couture specializes in styling a variety of delicious gourmet cookie offerings. Their passion for creating delectable cookies to tempt your taste buds and satisfy your sweet tooth is at the heart of Cookie Couture.
- Dream of Goodies (Sterling, VA) - Once upon a time we had a dream of being able to eat goodies that are not only healthy for you but so yummy you almost couldn't believe it. All of our goodies contain sustainable, pasture-raised, non-GMO ingredients and we always strive to source local, organic ingredients whenever possible. We've dreamed up the very best tasting goodies for you to enjoy!
- Just a Bite (Annandale, VA) - Just A Bite likes to emphasize the humble snack, the one that speaks for itself upon first taste, knowing all too well that even then a nibble or two just won’t do.
- Role Tea (Springfield, VA ) - Good for you drinks don't have to taste bad. Every bottle of Role Tea includes 400mg of either turmeric or cinnamon extract to help you fight inflammation without compromising taste. With a better for you beverage that tastes THIS good, there really is no reason to drink regular teas, juices or soda.
- Mechelle's Baking Company (Fredericksburg, VA) - A family-owned small business specializing in baking amazing, homemade pies with your sweetest indulgences in mind. Their delicious line of signature desserts includes sweet potato pie, apple pie, pecan pie, & blackberry pie to melt over.
- Dmitri Olive Oil (Baltimore, MD) - A family that grows and harvests their own unfiltered first cold press extra-virgin olive oil and prepares oils infused with garlic, lemon & chili, as well as 10 different marinades.
- RICHbars (Alexandria, VA) - A local company that creates raw confections from natural, nutritional, flavorful, raw ingredients – rich ingredients. While energy, granola, protein, etc. bars and bites filling shelves of supermarkets do not surprise anyone, their goal is to skip packaging step. They want to have direct communication with customers without intermediaries, believing that raw bars, bites, balls and cakes are better and RICHer, when they are fresh.
|Mechelle's Baking Company has a variety of pie!|
And the talented Crafters:
- Athena Styles (Alexandria, VA) - A trendsetting Online Fashion Designer Shop, offering first-rate products and exceptional customer service to shoppers from the comfort of their own homes; a business made up of innovators and forward-thinkers, with the drive and wherewithal to constantly update and improve.
- Raynes Natural Beauty, LLC (Alexandria, VA) - Founded in a Alexandria loft in 2016 , Raynes Natural Beauty is an organic beauty product firm focused on providing healthy skin care, candles plus bath and body products. Completely free of all harmful toxins, Raynes Natural Beauty is a healthy and pure line of nourishing personal care items made only with the highest quality ingredients. 100% natural and 100% cruelty-free, all products are completely, 100% free of artificial colors, synthetic chemical preservatives and all other toxins.
- C&A Soy Candles (Alexandria, VA) - Specializes in all natural, hand poured soy woodwick candles. Custom orders welcome!
- Whitney's World in Kenya (Fairfax, VA) - Offering a collection of fair trade handmade woven baskets & jewelry from Kenyan families. Occasional Vendor.
- Nurture Designs (Alexandria) - Local jewelry artisan
- Beyond Woodwork - Offers an amazing selection of collapsible baskets. Each item is beautifully and intricately hand carved.
- Maxine's Mixes (Arlington, VA) - Soap & candles.
- Franklyn Woodcraft (Arlington, VA) - Franklyn Torres Santos has always had a love for trees and working with his hands. Growing up in the Dominican Republic, he worked for an eco-tour company and shared his passion for nature as a guide on waterfall jumping tours in the mountains. When not enjoying the great outdoors, he can frequently be found at TechShop crafting wood into beautiful useful pieces of art. Franklyn prefers to use locally harvested wood whenever possible. He sources much of it through Local Hardwood in Berryville, VA.
- Michael Farnham (Alexandria, VA) - former naval officer with a life-long interest in photographer and an "appreciation for the undiscovered beauty that still exists in the world"
|Sundays at 4MRMarket:|
Jimmy Potters Studio is a locally owned ceramics studio in
Fairfax, VA creating handmade and
functional ceramics for everyday use.
More ways to support 4MRMarket:
The supercool 4MRMarket t-shirt
will soon be even cooler.
BUY. Proceeds of our 4MRMarket T-shirts go to support Four Mile Run Park improvements with our partner the Four Mile Run Conservatory Foundation. Shirts are currently out of stock. We'll be trying a new ordering system soon.
DONATE. Help 4MRMarket help 4MRPark. Tax-deductible donations can be made to support us in our efforts to revitalize Four Mile Run Park. Donate to our partner the Four Mile Run Conservatory Foundation to fund tree plantings, clean-ups, water stations and other amenities at 4MRExpand or throughout the park.
VOLUNTEER. We love help with set-up and tear-down and/or helping folks shop using SNAP or Credit/Debit cards. Just find a Market Manager to ask to help, or email us at 4MRMarket@arlandria.org for more info.
FOLLOW. Keep up to date on all the goings on by following 4MRMarket on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Email or via our website and blog.
SPREAD THE WORD. Please tell folks about us. And tell folks about some of the great things we're doing. For instance, all SNAP participants can take advantage of the Inova-sponsored "Double Dollar" program again this year that doubles the first $20 SNAP participants spend. An extra $20!! 4MRMarket is proud to have been the first farmers’ market in Northern Virginia to accept SNAP.